Thursday 25 January 2007

The Power Of Networking?

Do you have times when you seem to do nothing but networking? I know I'm going through one of those periods at the moment. It is in fact part of my current maketing strategy to review the available networking opportunities.

Don't get me wrong, I am convinced that networking creates a power that leads to a richer, fuller personal and professional life – a power that comes from a spirit of giving and sharing. I am sure networking must be the most cost-effective marketing tool around when it is used wisely, appropriately, and professionally. I have been attending so many opportunities so that I'm in a position to make an informed choice about how I can spend my time effectively during the year.

However, networking is often misunderstood, misused, and therefore underused. Networking is an attitude, an approach to life. It is not just a “thing to do”. It should encompass the way in which you relate to people and resources around you. It is as much about giving as it is about getting business.

Over the last ten days or so, I have been to three business breakfasts, one working lunch and two evening events. I am a member of an e-group for coaches and guess what has been the topic that has dominated discussions over the last week? You've got it, networking. Or more specifically the pros and cons of a particular nationally available breakfast-time opportunity.

I don't regret the time or expense at all, I've come away from each event with a pocketful of business cards, met some interesting people, definitely a few new clients. I've found some opportunities for joint ventures and even been entertained by a couple of fellas who reminded me of the Chuckle Brothers. There have been opportunities that I would like to return to again and again and there are others I probably won't rush back to for a while.

This, I think, has been the big lesson of the last couple of weeks - you need to find the networking opportunity that is likely to work best for you and your business. You might prefer the formal, strictly timed elevator-speech opportunity. You might prefer the laid back, free for all-type events, where making contact with other people is entirely up to you. Some events offer something in-between. You might not like getting up too early in the morning, a lunch might eat into too much of your day (geddit!) or family responsibilities might prevent evening attendance?

What is really important however is to remember that most people will do business with people they know and like. That's why it is important to find the networking opportunity you like best, go along frequently, get to know people and let them get to know you. Success from networking is about building confidence and trust. I thoroughly recommend networking as a means of promoting your business and finding out about opportunities that might serve you well in return. Importantly, the knowledge you gain about other businesses can add value to what you give your own clients and customers.

As someone who has worked in voluntary organisations for most of his career and still has many clients from that sector to boot, I think that most charities are really missing a trick for identifying donors or commercial sponsors by not joining networking groups. Don't forget charities have to do business with others too, you might get some really good deals and definitely a better quality of service from people and businesses you get to know well.

Have I convinced you?

If so, why not get in touch to find out about the types of networking opportunities that exist. What's more I could coach you to make sure you maximise the value your networking opportunity.


No comments: